Wednesday 1 June 2011

The mind of a Pedestrian in Port Moresby

I spend a lot of my time in the car which is where I do a lot of thinking and observing.  I have noticed something interesting but cannot figure out the correlation.  Why is it when it rains in PNG, the number of people walking around almost doubles?  You know it is fascinating to see the way pedestrians cross a road in Port Moresby.  I was always taught to look both ways before stepping out and only go when it is safe and clear, here, they are taught to walk first and look when they are half way across the road... then there is this big burst of laughter and they run.  Not sure what the laughter is about, are they happy they did not get run over?  It's fascinating.
When talking about PNG, people always ask me, 'Where is it?'... or 'Is it really that dangerous?'.  What a shame PNG has such a reputation.  This Country has a lot to offer - Lady Gaga would be inspired.
So, besides working, driving and trying to figure out the relationship between weather and pedestrians, I love to cook.  Cooking in PNG forces people to be creative, because you will start out with a recipe and then end up with a totally different dish because most of the ingredients were not available.  It is takeaway for dinner tonight - cheaper and easier for this busy and tired girl.
I promise to return tomorrow with a subject not related to roads.  How about some international blogging?  I saw a headline the other day about 12 people in Germany dead from killer cucumbers...

   

1 comment:

  1. OMG. I'm glad I'm not the only one that just doesn't get the laughing.... tee hee hee.. I almost got ran over!

    ReplyDelete